Fire Departments' Lieutenant Promotional Process

tyler

Jan 11, 2019
Lmk if this is how your department's lieutenant promotional process is (I'm curious if my department is the same or different from others).

In my dept., it goes like this:

It starts with a written exam on some variety of materials (policy, Fire Officer's Handbook of Tactics, and other things that change year to year).

Candidates who pass this process (70%+) get a "documents" score. Points are awarded for seniority, college education. Points are subtracted for discipline.

Candidates are then put through an assessment center. Historically, this includes a writing exercise (usually a memorandum), a tactical exercise, an interview, and a role play (where you interact with actors, give a presentation, etc.)

I forget the exact weight of each of the items.

Reactions: Admin

Firefighterjobs

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 28, 2018
My department is similar,
First they start with an evaluation process and if you pass that you are allowed to take the written test. Next the written exam is the same passing score, 70%. Then we have interviews with the department staff, and finally they add points for seniority to get your final score. The last process the weights were; evaluation: 40% Written: 20% and interview: 40%.

Reactions: Admin